- 44th President of the United States
- Con to the question "Should Social Security Be Privatized?"
“I have been adamant in saying that Social Security should not be privatized and it will not be privatized as long as I’m President. And here’s the reason. I was opposed to it before the financial crisis. And what I said was the purpose of Social Security is to have that floor, that solid — rock-solid security, so that no matter what else happens you’ve always got some income to support you in your retirement. And I’ve got no problem with people investing in their 401(k)s, and we want to encourage people to invest in private savings accounts. But Social Security has to be separate from that…
So here’s the thing. Social Security is not in crisis. What is happening is, is that the population is getting older, which means we’ve got more retirees per worker than we used to. We’re going to have to make some modest adjustments in order to strengthen it. There are some fairly modest changes that could be made without resorting to any newfangled schemes that would continue Social Security for another 75 years, where everybody would get the benefits that they deserve.”
“Remarks by the President at a Discussion with Ohio Families on the Economy,” whitehouse.gov, Aug. 18, 2010
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs, JDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to social security and related issues. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to social security and related issues.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- 44th President of the United States, Jan. 20, 2009 – Jan. 20, 2017
- Member, US Senate (D-IL), 2005-2008
- Member, US Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, 2005-2006
- Member, Illinois State Senate, 1997-2004
- Attorney, Miner, Barnhill & Galland, 1993-2004
- Former Teacher, Constitutional Law, University of Chicago
- Former community organizer, Chicago
- JD, Harvard University, 1991
- BA, Columbia University, 1983
- Contact Info:
- None found
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should Social Security Be Privatized?